PWDRA Release Policies
Members of this directory follow the basic guidelines below as a minimum ethical standard for releasing of White Doves at weddings, funerals and other special events where a dove release ceremony is desired.
1. The safety of our birds is our top priority.
2. To release only healthy, homing pigeons (aka: Rock Dove or Columba Livia). These birds are the only type that should be released and expected to return home. Pet store doves will perish as they have nowhere to go.
3. Our birds will be trained and physically fit to perform any task, or return from the distances they are released. (We will not release them beyond their physical capabilities)
4. The birds must be allowed sufficient time to get home from the release point before dark.
5. We shall not release our birds in inclement weather such as heavy rain, dense fog, high winds or any condition in which our birds safety is jeopardized.
6. Members agree not to do night releases.
7. Members agree not to allow their birds welfare to be overseen by untrained personnel.
PWDRA members are devoted to their birds and to providing professional white dove releases. Not only are the releases beautiful, white dove releases are actually environmentally friendly!
Thinking of releasing balloons? Please think again. Although balloons are beautiful as they sail away on the slightest breeze... but then what? They turn into litter! Not only do they end up as unsightly garbage, they are actually dangerous. Both wildlife and pets can ingest, or become tangled in, balloons causing a slow and needless death. Please visit BalloonsBlow.org for more information.